Monday, March 9, 2009

DNA conclusion


Last week we did a lab were we extracted animal and plant DNA. I chose to do animal DNA. First, I swirled blue Gatorade into my mouth for one full minute. Secondly, I spit the drink into a cup and poured the contents into a test tube. Next, I poured liquid soap into the same test tube. After that, I Sealed the test tube and mixed the contents by turning the test tube upside down and right side up six to eight times. Then, I gently poured cooled rubbing alcohol into the mixture by letting it run down the inside of the test tube. At first, I thaught I did something wrong because there were bubbles but the alcohol cleared it right up. After I waited about five minutes I saw white clumps float to the surface were the alcohol was. I learned that these white clumps were my DNA. Ms A. explained to the class that this process happens because The enzymes in the soap break down the fast that connect the DNA to the cells. Also, the cold alcohol releases the DNA and pulls them out of the solution which is why the DNA safley and slowly floats to the top. When the DNA floats up they look like little white clumps.

No comments: